Wave and tidal energy testing
EMEC provides operational demonstration and testing facilities for wave and tidal energy developers to demonstrate marine energy converters in real sea conditions.
We can support you with the following in the lead up to and while using our facilities:
- Assistance with grid connection, Power Purchase Agreement and Renewable Obligations Certificate (ROCs) accreditation;
- Independent assessment of devices’ energy conversion capabilities and survivability;
- Autonomous, internationally recognised performance assessment of devices (UKAS Accredited - ISO 17025);
- Independent technical verification to confirm that your technology satisfies conceptual reliability, survivability and performance targets (UKAS Accredited - ISO 17020);
- Real-time technology, resource and environmental monitoring;
- Comprehensive assistance with consent and regulatory issues;
- Wave, tidal and environmental baseline data;
- Site permitting and risk management systems;
- 24/7 duty manager;
- Local research and engineering support;
- Nearby access to sheltered water and harbours;
- Office and data centre support;
- Full confidentiality of data.
Have a look at our client profiles for details of past demonstrations:
Equipment, component or methodology testing
Our sites can also be used for developing new methodologies for challenging offshore environments and testing subsystems, equipment and components in real sea environments.
Have a look at our project profiles for details of past demonstrations:
Whilst set up as an offshore energy test facility, our test sites can be used for demonstrating innovative technologies from other industries as well. For example, in 2018-20, a subsea datacentre was demonstrated at our Billia Croo wave test site. See: Microsoft demonstrate subsea data centre at EMEC
For more information on our testing facilities please visit the facilities section of the website, or download our brochure: