Wave and tidal energy testing
EMEC provides operational demonstration and testing facilities for wave and tidal energy developers to demonstrate their marine energy converters in real sea conditions.
We provide a number of services to developers to assist them while using the facilities:
- Assistance with grid connection, Power Purchase Agreement and Renewable Obligations Certificate (ROCs) accreditation;
- Independent assessment of devices’ energy conversion capabilities and survivability;
- Autonomous, internationally recognised performance assessment of devices (UKAS Accredited - ISO 17025);
- Independent technical verification to confirm that your technology satisfies conceptual reliability, survivability and performance targets (UKAS Accredited - ISO 17020);
- Real-time technology, resource and environmental monitoring;
- Comprehensive assistance with consent and regulatory issues;
- Wave, tidal and environmental baseline data;
- Site permitting and risk management systems;
- 24/7 duty manager;
- Local research and engineering support;
- Nearby access to sheltered water and harbours;
- Office and data centre support;
- Full confidentiality of data.
Equipment, component or methodology testing
- Utilisation of our sites for testing the operational effectiveness of specific equipment or components in real sea environments;
- Development of unique methodologies using experience of challenging environmental characteristics at our sites.
For more information on our testing facilities please visit the Facilities section of the website, or download our Pathway to Commercialisation brochure: