Project: Blue-GIFT (Blue Growth and Innovation Fast Tracked)
Timescale: 36 month project (2018-2021)
Funder: Interreg Atlantic Area
Funding: €2.5 million
Project overview: Blue-GIFT will implement a coordinated ocean energy technology demonstration programme that encourages longer term demonstration and technology de-risking across the Atlantic Arc regions. Blue-GIFT will leverage the skills, processes and expertise developed in the Interreg NWE FORESEA programme to drive forward the marine energy sector in the Atlantic Arc. The development of ocean energy in these regions will help stimulate economic development whilst developing a domestic sustainable energy source to reduce carbon emissions. The project aims to support a minimum of eight floating wind, wave or tidal demonstration related projects across the Atlantic Arc region.
- EMEC (wave and tidal test centre) in Orkney, Scotland – LEAD PARTNER;
- BiMEP (wave and floating wind test centre) in the Basque Country, Spain;
- PLOCAN (wave and floating wind test centre) in Gran Canaria, Spain;
- SEENEOH (tidal and run of river test centre) in Bordeaux, France;
- WavEC (wave and floating wind test centre) in Lisbon, Portugal;
- SmartBay Ireland (marine and renewable test site) in Galway; and
- Centrale Nantes, SEM-REV (wave and floating wind test centre) on the west coast of France.
EMEC role: EMEC will implement proven Interreg project management procedures to ensure smooth delivery while also leading on the test plan and verification activities in the project.
Project website: www.bluegift.eu
- December 2020: Blue-GIFT opens third call to test marine renewable energy technology in real sea environments
- July 2020: Blue-GIFT call 2 recommends support to five ocean energy technologies
- March 2020: DesignPro extends testing at SEENEOH
- March 2020: Blue-GIFT 2nd call closes end April
- December 2019: Blue-GIFT supports nine ocean energy companies to trial and validate their technologies
- April 2019: Blue-GIFT opens 1st call for ocean energy demonstrations
- October 2018: Atlantic Arc Blue-GIFT to support ocean energy demonstration